Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Animating with Blender

I showed my animations to a friend of a friend, who happens to be a professional animator. She complimented me on them, and told me she was amazed that they were my first ever animations (WHOOO!)

However, she said I needed to work on my timing and smoothness, and suggested I look at the program called Blender. She also offered me an SL skeleton/armature she'd developed for Blender. Jacek's Blender code and tutorial is here.



Well, Blender turns out to be scarily complex - which it has to be, it's not just an animation program like Qavimator is. Blender is a renderer, animator, 3D modeller, and a bunch of other stuff.

So right now, I'm thrilled that I've figured out how to make the skeleton do a really clumsy, ugly walk. But eventually, I'm sure I'll get the curtsey and the eating/drinking animations done in Blender, with their timing and smoothness corrected, and get them really polished and lovely.

No comments: