Sunday, June 8, 2008

Scripts in CVS

What many of you probably don't know is that I'm a trained programmer. And one of the things you learn in your training is version control. What the hell is version control, I hear you ask? Okay, I don't hear you ask, but I bet a lot of you are wondering.



When you're writing anything important, you go through a bunch of tries. Programming - or scripting - is no different. Version control is getting the computer to keep track of your attempts, so that if you want to go back to an old version, you can.

Anyway, today I put all my scripts into CVS, which is a version control system. You can learn more about CVS CVS at GNU, or at the page for O'Reilly's book on CVS.

It's just an important little trick I use to keep things going smoothly for me.

No comments: